Congressman Brad Sherman

Representing the 30th District of CALIFORNIA

Useful Tax Information


Undelivered IRS Refunds and Economic Stimulus Checks

Every year thousands of people do not receive their tax refund from the IRS due to a change of address or a change of name. In some cases, the individual is not expecting the return because it is due to an accounting error in their favor that the IRS discovered on the tax return.

In addition, last year's stimulus checks were sent out by the IRS. Some of these stimulus payments did not reach the person who was supposed to receive them and were returned by the Post Office.

Recovery Act Tax Savings Tool

The Recovery Act Tax Savings Tool helps Americans better understand the range of tax credits provided by American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). If you want to use the tax savings tool, please click here.

Installment Plan

During these difficult economic times, there is an option for taxpayers who need a little extra time to pay the taxes that they owe. You can use IRS Form 9465 to request a monthly installment plan if you cannot pay the full amount shown on your tax return (or you can apply online at Generally, you can have up to 60 months to pay. In certain circumstances, you can have longer to pay or the agreement can be approved for an amount that is less than the amount of tax owed. However, before requesting an installment agreement, you may consider other less costly alternatives, such as getting a bank loan (as interest will continue to accrue).

A taxpayer can also use California Franchise Tax Board Form 3561 to request an installment agreement for California State taxes.

Please consult your tax advisor with any questions.

California State Tax Refunds

To check the status of a California state tax refund, you may visit and enter their social security number, mailing address, and refund amount shown on your tax return. To claim a missing refund, you must call (800) 852-5711 for assistance. Through this telephone number, the FTB can initiate an investigation into any missing refund and, if applicable, issue you a new refund check.

IRS Resources