Main menu

Congressman Brad Sherman

Representing the 30th District of CALIFORNIA

Congressman Sherman Announces Federal Resources to Help Those Affected by the Woolsey Fire


Nov 13, 2018
Press Release

Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Brad Sherman (D-Sherman Oaks) announced ways that those affected by the Woolsey Fire can begin the process of recovering and rebuilding.  Sherman, along with Congresswoman Julia Brownley, and Congressman Ted Lieu, sent a letter to the President urging him to approve the disaster declaration first requested by Governor Jerry Brown and make these funds available to fire survivors.

After statements opposing aid to California fire victims, on Monday, the President signed a declaration that allows federal funds to be available to help Los Angeles and Ventura County survivors.  This includes Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Individual Assistance funding that will be available to individuals to allow them to rebuild and repair homes and structures that were damaged or destroyed and replace housing and other property not covered by insurance.

Guide to Begin Recovering and Rebuilding

FEMA: The Administration has approved a major disaster declaration for the Woolsey Fire in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties for Individual Assistance. The declaration provides programs to assist individuals, households and businesses, along with assistance for public agencies and selected non-profits that have participated in response efforts.  Anyone in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties impacted by the fires - families, volunteers, employers or employees facing challenges as a result of the Woolsey Fire - should register with FEMA by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), visiting, or find a local Disaster Recovery Center online at as soon as possible.

Small Business Administration (SBA): The Administration also approved U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans for homeowners, businesses, and nonprofit organizations.  The SBA loans are to help businesses repair or replace disaster-damaged property, inventory, and supplies.  Homeowners and renters may also be eligible for SBA loans to repair or replace disaster-related damages to homes or personal property. Businesses and homeowners can apply for SBA loans online at

Unemployment assistance: People who are out of work due to the fires may be eligible for unemployment benefits. You can file for benefits at  You can also file by phone, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm by calling:

  • English: 1-800-300-5616
  • Spanish: 1-800-326-8937
  • Chinese: 1-800-547-3506 (Cantonese), 1-866-303-0706 (Mandarin)
  • Vietnamese: 1-800-547-2058

Help in Dealing with Insurance Company Issues: Call the California Department of Insurance consumer hotline at 1-800-927-4357 (HELP) or visit their website at

This is a preliminary guide.  More information for fire victims will be posted at